Looking for the scariest day out for Halloween? If you want to get spooked this October, then take a look through all the fab Halloween days out below…
With pumpkin grottos, magic masterclasses, wizardry afternoon teas, ghostly canals and spooky sleepovers, England has plenty of days out for Halloween to enjoy this year. All complete with tricks and treats guaranteed to give us a fright during the night (and day)!
We’ve got Halloween days out for kids here, and a list for adults at the end too.
Here’s a roundup of ghoulish goings-on across the country from VisitEngland. All events going ahead at the time of publishing, but prebook and double check before you leave the house!
Days Out for Halloween
Have a look through these Halloween events for 2021 and decide where you’re going to spend the spookiest night of the year. A bit of dress up is always fun, too!
Halloween days out for all the family...
1. Hogweeds’ School of Magic, Shropshire
UNCONFIRMED for 2021
Calling all young witches and wizards. Join Hogweeds’ School of Magic for a Halloween day out, taking classes in divination, herbology and care of magical creatures. Have your training wand pick you and let the magic begin.
- Price £4 per child (4-11)
2. Cadbury World’s Freddo’s Ghoulish Gameshow, Birmingham
CONFIRMED for 2021: 16th to 31st October
Enjoy live entertainment at Freddo’s brand new Ghoulish Gameshow. There’s plenty of audience participation to enjoy!
Don your creepiest costume and get into the spooky spirit as you explore Cadbury World’s self-guided tour for a Halloween day out – known as one of the best days out in Birmingham. Catch the Scream Factor show or start the chocolatey fun early as the Cadbury characters serve up a breakfast experience you won’t forget. Pre-booking essential for this Halloween day out for kids.
- October 20 – November 4
- From £18 (adult), £13.25 (4-15 year olds)
Book your tickets to Cadbury World in advance to save the faff on the day!
3. Spooktacular Surprises by day or night at Warwick Castle, Midlands
CONFIRMED for 2021: 23rd to 31st October
Head to Warwick Castle for glee, ghouls, and ghastly surprises as it transforms into The Haunted Castle. This is one of the coolest Halloween events in the Midlands.
Be Spooked! by day at Warwick Castle’s new haunted house walk-through with a trick or treat in every room. Find creepy characters around every corner, and watch wicked witches on Dead Centre Stage as the Castle is brimming with spooky tales and scary fun for all the family. As darkness falls the Castle After Dark begins.
Savour the spirit of Halloween days out with a shocking scare maze and frightfully good evening entertainment including fire-breathers, live music and street food and drink. For those looking for the ultimate fright factor spend the ‘knight’ at the ‘Fright’s Village’ for a dreadfully good unique sleepover among whispering trees in the Castle grounds with spooktacular bedtime ghost stories before settling down (if you can!) for a night in the medieval-themed Woodland.
- October 23 – 31st
- Haunted Castle experience (daytime) from £24 per person.
- The Castle After Dark experience from £19 per person – when booked online.
- Overnight stay from £111 per person per night (including admission to The Haunted Castle).
BOOK YOUR TICKETS TO WARWICK CASTLE BEFORE YOU GO TO SAVE TIME & MONEY
4. Wickedly delicious wizardry tea’s and overnight, London
CONFIRMED for 2021: ongoing
Georgian House Hotel, Pimlico will serve up a Wizard Afternoon Tea in the hotel’s atmospheric Pimlico Pantry with a mystical feast of goodies including eye of newt scones, lemon cursed tart and head-popping chocolate lollipops complemented with Wizard’s Mocktails of frozen crystals, druid’s water and ancient red fairy dust.
Once you’ve filled your wizard boots, you can stay in one of Georgian House Hotel’s Enchanted Chambers, concealed on its lower ground floor and reached via a portrait-filled passageway bathed in candlelight. The perfect stay for aspiring little wizards and witches, complete with stained glass windows, stone arches, cauldrons, velvet-clad four-poster beds and wood burning stoves.
Wizard Afternoon Teas available Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until the end of December. Makes for a great experience on a day out in London and definitely one of the best halloween days out for kids.
- From £49 (for two including bottomless bubbles).
- Guests booking a Wizard Afternoon Tea can enjoy a stay in an Enchanted Chamber for just £150 per night including breakfast until the end of December.
5. Halloween Trails at Burghley House, Lincolnshire
CONFIRMED for 2021: 16 Oct 2021 – 31 Oct 2021
Family fun will be on offer as one of England’s greatest Elizabethan houses stages its annual Halloween Trail this October half term.
Set amidst the splendour of the Sculpture Garden at Lincolnshire’s Burghley House, visitors young and old can get into the Halloween spirit by dressing up in their scariest costumes to tread through the autumn leaves and find the hidden ghosts on a Halloween day out.
6. Eastnor Castle Halloween Trail, Herefordshire
NOT TAKING PLACE IN 2021
Eastnor Castle lies at the foot of the Malvern Hills and is surrounded by a beautiful deer park and lake and perfect for autumn walks. For something spookier there is a special event for half term and Halloween – someone has stolen Gaynor the Ghost’s Halloween Sweets and visitors are invited to help her find out who stole them by following the clues around the grounds.
- Price from £3.50 (adults 16 and over), £5.00 Children (3-15 years)
- Grounds only (the castle will be closed for this event)
- October 25 – November 1
7. Pumpkin Grotto at Groombridge Place, Tunbridge Wells
NOT TAKING PLACE IN 2021
The secret garden at the Pumpkin Grotto with its gentle stream and wooden bridge will be transformed into a magical pumpkin grotto. See if you can spot all the hidden pumpkins and if you come in fancy dress, there may be something special waiting for every ghoul, ghost, phantom and skeleton!
Afterwards discover Crusoe’s World with its wooden rope bridge, giant wooden ship, rope swings and zip wire or walk along the canal, through the forest and you might catch a glimpse of the resident herd of fallow deer. A great Halloween day out for all the family. So much to do, it’s one of the best Halloween days out for kids.
- October – 1 November.
- From family (one under 12) £25; adults £8.95; children £6.95.
8. Pumpkin Festival & Enchanted Pumpkin Show, Lincoln
CONFIRMED FOR 2021: 22nd – 31st October
Visit Rand Farm Park for a brand-new Enchanted Pumpkin Show with Mona and Maud, their resident friendly witches. Plus, each child gets a free pumpkin to carve at the farm and take home.
Included in your Pumpkin Festival Half-Term admission everyday from the 22nd – 31st October
- Visit the Pumpkin Patch
- Meet the Halloween characters
- Receive a FREE pumpkin for every paying child
- Leave your mess with them and carve your pumpkins within our pumpkin patch (additional charges apply)
- Meet the many animals on the farm
- Conquer the outdoor play area
- Ride the heights of our Skyrider
- Indoor soft play
Last year they sold out everyday for the Pumpkin Festival, so please book online in advance to avoid disappointment.
9. Wands & Wizard Exploration experience, West End London
AFTERNOON TEA CONFIRMED for 2021: Saturday Oct 23rd – Sunday Oct 31st
The magical creators of The Cauldron will launch a family-friendly retail, educational, and contactless experience using the power of a magic wand. With three sections across five floors showcasing how fantasy can be made real with science, technology, and design.
The Wizard Exploratorium is a magic wand-interactive science museum and Magic Wand Experience will give you the chance to build-your-own magic wand on your day out for Halloween!
- Retail shop open from September 25.
- Magic Wand Experience from October 5
- Pumpkin carving October 9th
- Price from £19.99 (adults), students £10.00, free for children under 12 (General entry to the Wizard Exploratorium).
- £49.99 per person for the Magic Wand Experience
12. Spooky Trail with Creepy Clues at Goodrich Castle, Herefordshire
UNCONFIRMED FOR 2021
Gather your little monsters and book tickets for a ghoulishly good day out at Goodrich Castle. Follow the trail to solve creepy clues and gather round to listen to spooky stories. Don’t forget to dress up as each day there will be a competition for the most frightening fancy dress on this Halloween day out.
- Price from £9.90 (adults), £6 (5- 17-years)
- October 24 – November 1
13. Canal boats along England’s spookiest waterways
UNCONFIRMED FOR 2021
Britain’s 200-year old canal network provides the perfect backdrop for a haunting Halloween, with spooky tunnels, misty towpaths, bats, toads, spiders and plenty of ghosts. Hear the shrieking boggart on Trent and Mersey Canal or head to the Shropshire Union Canal, said to be Britain’s most haunted canal with five ghosts along its length, including the terrifying ‘Monkey Man’ at Bridge 39 near Norbury.
This hideous black, shaggy coated being is believed to be the ghost of a boatman drowned there in the 19th century.
- Prices for boats for up to four people at Drifters over Halloween start at £535.00 (three or four nights), day boat prices start at £99 per day.
Halloween days out for Adults only….
14. Halloween Glow Throw Axe Weekender, Lincoln
UNCONFIRMED FOR 2021
Join Axed Lincoln at their Halloween Glow Throw Weekender for all the axe chucking, steel sinking, cold, hard, fun you know BUT with UV glow in the dark axes and targets!
- From £100.00 per lane
- October 30 – 31
15. Tours with Lantern Ghost Tours, London
CONFIRMED FOR 2021: Dates vary
Visit London’s naughtiest pubs and hear all about the capital’s most grisly history. There’s also a London Bridge Ghost Tour, visiting the world’s oldest operating theatre and the ghosts that linger in England’s oldest prison.
You can also sign up to a virtual spooky tour so you can investigate the paranormal in your own home.
16. Lincoln Ghost Walk , Lincoln
CONFIRMED FOR 2021: Wednesdays to Saturdays at 7pm
Take a chilling stroll along the streets of Lincoln for one of the best days out for Halloween. You can experience the ghostly hauntings and discover Lincoln’s supernatural past first-hand. Led by experienced story telling guides, the tour passes many places of interest and attractions along the way, showing Lincoln in a spooky light.
- Dates: Each Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday October 2 – October 31
- Price: £6 adults and children 12+. £4 (Children under 12)
READ MORE: The Best Things to Do in Half Term in England
Halloween days out in England
If you’re looking for the best days out for Halloween, we hope this has given you some inspiration for your 2021 Halloween nights out. You might as well dress up and really throw yourself in – why not?!
- Why the UK Makes the Perfect Wedding Venue Destination - 22 February 2024
- Travelling Safely: Essential Steps to Ensure a Secure Journey - 15 February 2024
- Countryside Retreats in Rural England: Escapes from the Hustle and Bustle - 18 January 2024