Make time to unwind and relax in the beautiful Northumberland countryside. We have searched high and low for the best spa days in Northumberland, meaning the hard work has been done for you. The toughest decision you will have to make is which one to go for…
Not only is Northumberland a gorgeous county to go outdoors exploring, there is also a wealth of venues that offer spa days. From cosy country hotels to exclusive luxury members-only spas, we have put together a roundup of the best spa days whether you are looking for a romantic couples break or a catch up with the girls.
You may be a complete spa novice or spend most weekends sourcing the best spas across the country, either way we know you’ll enjoy this list. Each of the Northumberland spas included have something unique to offer so make sure you have a good read through before making your shortlist of ones to book. Or perhaps you will set yourself the goal of visiting all of them.
So take a few minutes out of your busy day, grab a notepad and start planning for that perfect spa day in Northumberland.
The Best Spa Days In Northumberland
Want to do more in Northumberland? Check out the 7 Best Places for Afternoon Tea in Northumberland…
1. Beau Monde Salon & Spa, Lucker
A luxurious, award-winning family-run spa in Northumberland, Beau Monde specialises in spa experiences, hair styling, beauty and leisure in a relaxing setting that will make you feel like you never want to leave.
They have created a calming and welcoming sanctuary, giving you space to slow down and fully relax as you indulge yourself in one of their many spa packages.
Located in the north of the county of Northumberland, Beau Monde is situated in the village of Lucker. Around five miles from Bamburgh, this truly is a gorgeous location that guests can enjoy even after their spa day. With a pub and holiday lets, there is plenty on offer from this small village.
What we love about Beau Monde is that it offers a touch of luxury whilst making sure every type of guest is fully catered for. This is obvious from their range of spa experiences, a few of which can be seen below:
- The new Beau Monde Ultimate Champagne and Truffles Deluxe Spa Experience
- £160pp (9am-4pm)
- Welcome drink
- Luxury gown, towel and slippers
- Use of the Beau Monde facilities
- Afternoon tea served in Beau Monde’s viewing room including glass of fizz
- 90-minute Temple Spa Champagne and Truffles Deluxe Treatment
- “Just the Two of Us” – couples package
- £195 per couple
- Use of spa facilities (60 mins)
- Fluffy robe, towel and slippers
- Full body Temple Spa massage (60 mins)
- 3 course meal at The Apple Inn or The School House for two
- You can upgrade any spa experience with a glass of prosecco for £6 or go for the bottle at a cost of £23
Visit the website for the full list of spa experiences including ‘The School Run’ and ‘Twilight’ packages.
2. The Secret Spa at Village Farm, Shilbottle
Next up for our roundup of the best spa days in Northumberland is The Secret Spa. You’ll find the Secret Spa nestled in one of Northumberland’s villages just outside of Alnwick. Shilbottle is home to the Village Farm, offering holiday cottage accommodation, a hairdresser as well as the gym and spa.
You are invited to kick back, de-stress and unwind in a welcoming and cosy setting. A pamper day guest will be able to make full use of the gym and spa facilities throughout their visit. With heated beds, a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, as well as an indoor heated pool, there is plenty here to allow you to fully unwind.
This is a smaller spa, but many enjoy the more intimate and personal experience from visiting. It is worth noting, however, that the pool area may become more crowded during school holidays as guests staying at the holiday cottages also have access to the spa.
Choose from a half day or a full day package. The full day package includes afternoon tea from local bakery and cafe The Running Fox as well as a glass of prosecco. Arrival time is between 9-9.15am and check out is 4pm. You can check their website for a full breakdown of price per person as these depend on the length of your treatment and whether you are visiting on a weekday or on a Saturday.
The half day package is from 9am-12pm or 2pm-5pm. Priced at £50pp on a weekday or £60pp on a Saturday, and both include a 30-minute treatment of your choice.
3. Doxford Hall and Hotel, Doxford
If you are looking for a spa experience that also allows you to escape to the country, then Doxford Hall is the place for you.
Set in ten acres of glorious private grounds in a quiet corner of Northumberland, Doxford Hall offers that timeless elegance of the quintessential English mansion house. The whole estate is the perfect escape to catch up with family and friends, whilst enjoying the aqueous spa and afternoon tea.
‘A haven in which to escape the stresses and strains of modern life, and indulge in a little ‘me-time’.”‘
Offering a range of therapeutic treatments and spa packages, Doxford Hall spa aims to lift the spirits and soothe the body. You can choose from a variety of spa experiences or buy a gift voucher to treat a loved one.
Choose from a half day or full day spa experience with prices starting from £70pp. We particularly like the “Mother-to-be” experience from £100 and the “Divine” experience from £155pp.
The day packages include your chosen treatments and the following:
- Use of the pool, heat experiences, fitness equipment and relaxation suite
- A two-course lunch served in the George Runciman Restaurant
Arrival time is at 9.30 am, with a departure time by 5.30pm. Download the full spa brochure.
4. The Spa At Slaley Hall, Hexham
We’re now travelling down to the south of Northumberland to introduce you to Slaley Hall Hotel and Spa. An idyllic retreat nestled deep in the North East countryside, Slaley Hall is a destination in its own right. Near the market town of Hexham, this corner of Northumberland is ideal for those looking to explore some of the tourist hot spots such as Hadrian’s Wall and the North Pennines.
Offering space, ample facilities and a warm Northumbrian welcome, here you will find everything you are looking for from a relaxing spa day in Northumberland. Hidden among 1,000 acres of woodland, Slaley is a popular spot for Northumberland golf breaks, family get-togethers, picturesque weddings and corporate away days.
So what can you expect from a spa day at Slaley Hall?
There’s a pool large enough to lap up a few lengths, although it is worth checking the pool timetable if you are looking for a relaxing break. The pool is also used by families and locals who have come for a swim.
There are nine treatment rooms, including a dual suite and a finishing touches studio, meaning you can allow yourself to be spoilt with a range of spa packages that includes facials and massages. To really make the most of your visit to Slaley Hall, why not book one of the overnight spa packages that allow you to really let your hair down and unwind? From £258 for a one night stay, you can extend your spa experience with breakfast and dinner included.
If one night still isn’t long enough for you, there is a spa package that offers a two-night stay! This includes a 75 minute spa treatment per person. We think this would make the perfect gift for a special birthday or to celebrate a special occasion.
5. Linden Hall Hotel and Spa, Morpeth
To finish off the roundup of the best spa days in Northumberland, we want to share Linden Hall Hotel and Spa. Part of the Macdonald hotel chain, Linden Hall is located just outside the village of Longhorsley, around thirteen miles north of Morpeth.
This spa offers different experiences for every budget, which is why we couldn’t not include it in this guide. A few examples of the spa experiences you can expect to find at Linden Hall:
- The ‘My Rest & Reset Day’ offers guests full access to the hotel’s leisure facilities including the pool. After you have taken time to rest in your surroundings, you will then be welcomed to enjoy a light lunch in the hotel. Prices start from £35pp however this package doesn’t include a spa treatment. A perfect option for those simply wishing to unwind at their own pace.
- A ‘Morning Retreat’ package includes a 25 minute ELEMIS treatment, complimentary use of the spa and leisure facilities between 9am and 12pm with robes, towels and slippers. Polished off with a two-course spa lunch in the Dobson restaurant. All this for £65pp.
- A ‘Signature Spa Day’ offers something a little more luxurious for guests who are looking to spoil themselves. This package includes one 85 minute Macdonald Signature treatment, unlimited use of the spa and leisure facilities with robes, towels and slippers followed by a delicious afternoon tea. Priced at £145pp.
You can explore the full range of spa experiences via the Linden Hall website.
All that is left to do now is to make your booking at one of the spas we recommend visiting in Northumberland. Which one will you go for? Let us know!
Quick List: The Best Spa Days in Northumberland
- Beau Monde Salon & Spa, Lucker
- The Secret Spa at Village Farm, Shilbottle
- Doxford Hall and Hotel, Doxford
- The Spa At Slaley Hall, Hexham
- Linden Hall Hotel and Spa, Morpeth